HOMEMADE CRANBERRY COMPOTE
- 1 bag fresh (or frozen) cranberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup (possible more) cranberry juice
Put the entire bag of cranberries in a small pot on medium heat
Let the cranberries heat up and soften (you will see the skin burst and make soft pops)
After about five minutes, pour in the sugar and cranberry juice. Stir and mix well
Let the mix simmer on medium for about 15 minutes. It will bubble and stir every few minutes so it doesn't congeal.
- If it looks too thick at first, add a little more juice
- If it tastes too tart (this all goes by your taste, after all!) add a little more sugar
Once the mixture has reduced, take it off the heat and let cool for about five minutes
There are three ways to finish your compote:
- Leave as is. This way will be slightly more congealed and chunky, but still delicious!
- Pour the slightly cooled mixture into a blender (even a hand blender will do). Blend until the chunks are blended out (the mixture will get hotter as it blends, so be careful). The seeds will still be there but the mixture will be much smoother
- To make the ultimate in silky cranberry deliciousness, first complete step 2. After the mixture is blended and slightly cooled, pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. It's easiest to do this a few spoonfuls at a time so you don't spill it out the sides. Push your spoon down on the strainer to help the mixture go through and move the seeds aside. Strain the mixture once, and maybe twice if you reeeeally want some super silkiness!