My mother and I are on a vegetarian kick right now, and we are loving it! It surprised us both that we aren’t missing meat, the only thing we do miss is being able to eat more at restaurants. It seems like our only options are Caesar Salad hold the chicken or pasta with sauce of some sort. And as much as I love those two options, they aren’t the healthiest. The other day a friend took us to this restaurant that’s all vegetarian. WooHoo! I had a cauliflower steak and it was delicious. (Disclaimer: I love cauliflower, I think one month, my roommate thought I lived on just Bird’s Eye steamfresh Garlic Cauliflower) AMAZING actually. It was so good, the next night, mom and I came home and tried to make it. Our results are pretty darn good if we do say so ourselves.
1 head of cauliflower
1 Jar of marinara type sauce (heavy veggies kind)
1 package of tofu crumbles
1) Preheat oven to 400 f degrees. Peel leaves off of the cauliflower, but leave the stem intact. On a cutting board, slice cauliflower into large one inch sections. (it should look like the inside of a brain) You should be able to get about two to three good sections and then have left over pieces. They all taste the same anyways so do not agonize over perfection.
2) Pour about a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place cauliflower steaks in skillet and brown about 5 minutes per side. (You may have to do it in two batches)
3) Place cauliflower gently on cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Then turn oven down to 350 degrees, and bake an additional 15 minutes.
4) After turning the oven to 350 degrees, place a small pot over medium heat on the stove. Pour in tofu crumbles and as much marinara sauce as you like. Personally I like my a little saucy, lol. Heat through.
5) Once cauliflower is done, remove from oven and place it on plates. Then pour the sauce over the cauliflower. And enjoy!