HomeKatyRecipe CollectionHome

Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Salad Dressing: Oil and Vinegar

DSC02041
I’ve been on a salad fix lately, call it new years resolutions, call it what you will. The other day, I realized I didn’t have any dressings other than ranch, and I was not in a ranch mood. I wanted something light and not creamy. So I made my own. Gasp!Actually, its not hard at all and is very easy to add flavors to. Let’s start with the basic recipe:
DSC02035
  • 3 to 4 parts Oil
  • 1 part Vinegar
Yeah, like I said, easy. Now you may be wondering well what type of oil to use, or vinegar.  I use extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. Here are some notes about oils:
DSC02033
- The stronger the oil, the more vinegar needed
-Color influences how it tastes: Green  oils are peppery and sometimes bitter while Yellow oils are butterier
- Any vinegar is fine for salads except white vinegar (too harsh). Balsamic vinegar is sweet, while cider is fruity and rice is more mellow.
-Don’t like vinegar? No problem, try substituting in Lemon, Lime or another citrus fruit.
- Add syrups or other flavor additives to change it up! I love adding pomegranate syrup to my mixture!
DSC02045 - CopyDSC02047 - CopyDSC02050

PS. Don’t forget to enter my giveaway and help a poor lonely blogger!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I promise to read each and every one!