HomeKatyRecipe CollectionHome

Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

How to not: Melted Crayon Art




…As only a mother could love. So I decided to try one of those uber-cool melted crayon art things. One thing off my fall list of projects, phew. Still not sure if I love it, I tried to do a heart and FAILED but hey maybe, the half heart things is kind of cool in a modern art kind of way (though I detest most modern art, okay ALL modern art).

    I liked the original one but just found it a bit too elementary for my tastes ( I know I recycled my pun, but it's just so pun-y!) Anyways, I tried to make the heart stay white on the inside but I was lazy and thus failed. As my mother says "If you have time to do it over, you have time to do it right" and this time I learned that lesson really well. It's like the time I tried to make a lamp or ship a cake.





 

Materials:

Crayons

Blow-dryer

Hot Glue Gun

Canvas

Parchment Paper


 

Directions:

  1. Decide on the pattern for the crayons. THEN unwrap the crayons, it's easier because you might not have to peel as many crayons. *Make sure you have a good tv show to watch, because it can take forever to peel them. Who knew?
  2. Hot glue the parchment paper down completely (this is where I messed up). Then hot glue down the crayons.
  3. Let it sit outside or a hot for a bit to soften the crayons.
  4. Take a blow-dryer to the crayons, with the canvas slightly at an angle so crayons melt in down the canvas. Be careful there will be a 'splash zone'




 



I did this with one of my best friends when we were both home over summer, but hers looked much better. Oh well, next time?




3 comments:

  1. What a creative idea! I might have to try this.

    http://www.onechicdame.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! i can't wait to try this with my bff! thanks for the idea, am loving it! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I promise to read each and every one!